Would you like to help the Maternity Stream by volunteering?
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
This quote really sums up how the Maternity Stream was created and how it continues…
1) Fundraising. The Maternity Stream is always desperately in need of more funds to pay for expenses for volunteers but also to fund our project manager, without whom the Maternity Stream would not have developed.
2) Join the steering group. We are looking for asylum seeker and refugee women, health professionals, educators, researchers, and anyone who has a passion for all issues maternity.
3) Talk to groups and services. We are keen for women to visit potential services of sanctuary and talk to staff and volunteers about their experiences. This is where the biggest impact can be made. There will be support, training provided and travel expenses paid…plus cake!
“Hearing first-hand experiences from women who have gone or currently going through the asylum-seeking process about their challenges, fears and experiences made it seem real to me. Now I can incorporate what they taught me into my practice and hopefully make things better for women and families that I may meet in these circumstances in my future practice. It is so much more effective than reading about it in a text book!”
__ – Midwifery Student
4) Share your story. We are collecting women’s stories in different formats as educational and awareness-raising resources. The stories don’t have to belong…it could just be a snippet, it could be something tragic, ridiculous, infuriating, or heartwarming…all and more are welcome!
The stories will be added to our website. We won’t use your name.
You can write your own story and send it in or contact us for help writing your story.
If you are interested in interviewing to capturing women’s stories please do get in touch.
5)In the past few years, Maternity stream volunteers have trained as ‘busom buddies’ (breastfeeding peer support), organised conferences, made DVDs, spoken at international conferences, interviewed prospective midwifery students, and found a sense of belonging and purpose. We want these opportunities to continue and grow.
Other volunteering opportunities:
- Volunteer support assistance
For more information, please see the attached task description Volunteer Support Assistant
- Interpreter volunteer
For more information, please see the attached task description Interpreter Volunteer
- Telephone support
For more information, please see the attached task description Telephone Support Volunteer
To apply, please complete the application form (2020 application form)
and email a copy to Maha Alomari ([email protected])
To get involved elsewhere in the UK please contact: